Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Furious Longing of God

My book club recommended this book. I pulled up the introduction to The Ragamuffin Gospel and was intrigued. Then I started The Furious Longing of God and was surprised by the choppy, disorienting prose. Manning can write with incredible, soaring prose so rich as to be almost indigestible. He chooses to alternate voices -- overexpressive, simple, brief. His zig-zag switches cause slight queasiness. I want to think that Manning is trying to shock and unbalance the reader into a a realization of the depth and breadth of God's love, but I have to fight past his excesses to grasp for the meaning. I'm listening to Patched Together with the hope that hearing Manning write the same thing in another context (most of his books seem to say the same thing) will help me appreciate his breadth, style and content. And I'll read The Ragamuffin Gospel when I get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment